FLESHANDBLOOD IS A CAMPAIGN TO MOBILISE THE PEOPLE AND RESOURCES OF THE CHURCH TO HELP INCREASE THE NUMBER OF BLOOD AND ORGAN DONORS; A CALL TO RECOGNISE A NEED AND RESPOND WITH AN ACT OF GENEROSITY.
With a concept and model developed by UK based agency KORE, fleshandblood was initially founded in 2012 as a partnership with NHS Blood and Transplant, the UK's special health authority responsible for saving and improving lives through its national blood and organ donation programmes.
At the time of launch, 96% of the UK depended on the other 4% to give blood and only 31% of the population were registered on the NHS Organ Donor Register. Faith groups, in particular the UK Church, were identified as a key demographic to engage with and champion donation.
An estimated 10% of the UK regularly attends a church with the majority of churchgoers sharing in a rich tradition of giving and practising a rhythm of generosity as an expression of their faith. The campaign aimed to raise the profile of donation within the church and encourage donation as a personal gift. It sought to equip individuals and churches as advocates for donation helping them engage with their family, friends and community.
fleshandblood became the first national campaign to jointly promote blood and organ donation in the UK and the first national partnership between the UK Church and the NHS. The campaign model positioned Kore as a broker and intermediary between the NHS and national, denominational bodies that represented the Church. These bodies were in turn resourced and equipped via a media and information hub with additional customised marketing and communications specific to their audience. Encouraged to take ownership of the idea, each of these campaign associates were then responsible for their own communications direct to their audiences and communities, supported by Kore and NHS Blood and Transplant.
National Church associates participating in the 2013/2014 UK campaign included The Church of England, The Salvation Army, The United Reformed Church, The Baptist Union of Great Britain, The Catholic Archbishops Council of England and Wales, The Methodist Church, The Church in Wales, The Church of Scotland, The Seventh Day Adventist Church, The Evangelical Alliance and Hope Together. In addition there was further focus given to and work alongside Jesus House and the Redeemed Christian Church of God.
Our hope was that the church could make a significant impact to the lives of many and help to support the work of the NHS in caring for our communities. Between 2013 and 2014, this approach saw more than 50,000 local church leaders directly informed and resourced via their denominations, leading to a double digit increase in churchgoers who say they give blood and are registered on the NHS Organ Donor Register. 71% of UK churchgoers now report to seeing blood and organ donation as a part of their Christian giving or are open to the idea, with a corresponding 77% increase in churches mentioning blood donation and a 96% increase in mentioning organ donation over two years. With strategic presence at christian festivals, fleshandblood recorded the most successful blood and organ donor recruitment drives in the history of the NHS, with a height of one new donor registered every 96 seconds over a seven hour period.
In 2015, the fleshandblood model was replicated, tailored and launched across all of Ireland, marking the first cross-border partnership between public health providers and churches for Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The primary Church associates participating in Ireland were the Church of Ireland, Catholic Church in Ireland and Methodist Church in Ireland.
This space now acts as a legacy website, with relevant background information and housing historic media and resources from the original 2013/14 campaign, ideal for any individuals or local churches looking for ideas and resources on the topics of blood and organ donation.